The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography (PMHB) is a quarterly scholarly journal and one of the country’s most prestigious state historical publications. Published since 1877 by The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, it is an important resource for those interested in a scholarly approach to state and local history, industry, genealogy, culture, and related subjects. For more information about The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, visit the society's website.
To subscribe to current issues of the journal or for information regarding submissions, visit the society's Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography page.
This site provides access to a century of back issues of the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography since Vol. 31 (1907). One new volume will be added to the digital archive each year forward, six years after the original publication date (e.g., 2013 issues were added in the 2019 calendar year).Issues Published 1907–2016
- To search for authors, titles or words in the full text of issues in this repository, visit the Archives on this site.
- If you have a Penn State Access account, the most recent issues in full text are available at The Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Website.
- For access to Volumes 17ndash;30 (1877–1906) in electronic format:
- If you have a Penn State Access account, go to the full text of the earlier journal issues through the ProQuest American Periodicals Series database (you will see a different interface and search engine).
- To locate other libraries that have copies, consult OCLC WorldCat, where you can search many libraries at once for an item and then locate it in a library nearby. You may need to be a member of a library that subscribes to WorldCat to view/download content or check out materials through its website. Search the magazine title PMHB.
- Consult your local library for interlibrary loan options.
- For some 20th century articles, serach Google Scholar.
- The earliest volumes, from 1870s-early 1920s are available for free from JSTOR.
- A PMHB journal subscription is a benefit of membership in the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and is also available to individual and institutional subscribers. Find out more about membership in The Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
To Search this repository, choose the Search at the top of the screen.
To Browse the repository's content by year of publication, choose Archive at the top of the screen.
This site is the official digital archive of The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography and was created in cooperation with HSP by a joint effort of The Pennsylvania State University Libraries and Penn State Press. For more information please contact Libraries Open Publishing.
Banner image courtesy of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.