Long before the grand opening of Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall in Pittsburgh’s Oakland neighborhood in 1910, it was at the Allegheny Arsenal that locals could get a glimpse of the country’s military might. The arsenal was the city’s third military facility; it replaced Fort Fayette at Ninth and Penn Avenues, which itself had replaced Fort Pitt. Unlike the earlier facilities, the Allegheny Arsenal was created as an ordnance depot, not a garrison enclosure. On its first appearance on a map in 1815, that is how it was designated—a place to store arms and supplies for expeditionary forces. The Allegheny Arsenal became the “anchor store” for Pittsburgh’s Lawrenceville neighborhood that grew around it.