Last updated: December 15, 2023
How we collect data
We may collect personal data about you either directly from you or through automated technologies such as cookies.
The data you provide
The data are collected from registered and non-registered users of this journal. They fall within the scope of the standard functioning of peer-reviewed journals. Here are some examples of the information you may directly provide to us from our website or via email:
- Contact information, such as name, email, address, affiliation, telephone number, social media handle, ORCiD, and mailing address ;
- Demographic information, such as country, working languages, and any biographical statement;
- Research specializations and interests ;
- Scientific review content ;
- Communication and language preferences ; and
- Username and password.
The data we automatically collect
We may automatically collect the following information from you when you use our website: IP address, date/time visited, page views, and browser information.
Additional data collections
The Geomorphica Communication Team may request photos or video feeds for publicizing your work and/or media interactions. Participation is entirely voluntary.
We may also collect personal data from you through your registration in the Geomorphica reviewer database: https://geomorphicaadmin.pythonanywhere.com/.
The purposes for which we may use your data
- Contacting you or responding to you regarding editorial/publication processes or other queries you may have;
- Informing the public about the authorship, reviewing, and editing processes;
- Collecting anonymized, aggregated data on editorial, authorship, and readership behaviors and demographics;
- Collecting and publishing reviews and creating a transparent review process with the goal of eliminating both biases and unconstructive reviews;
- Notifying you about changes or updates to the journal, your manuscript status, or upcoming Geomorphica events;
- Supporting continued excellence in editorial policies and procedures and enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives;
- Investigating suspicious activity and keeping our website safe and secure;
- Developing a diverse group of publishing scientists;
- Understanding and correcting complications or issues in the publication process;
- Publicizing your work;
- Complying with legal or regulatory obligations; and
- For other purposes that we may notify you of, providing that we have sought your consent.
Disclosure of information
We do not collect information from other sources. The data that we collect will help in developing the journal. We will not disclose your personal information to other third parties, except as follows:
- If you voluntarily provide information to better publicize your work and enhance the impact of your article;
- To comply with the law/law enforcement agency requests and related matters and/or keeping our site secure; and
- Where necessary in connection with our publishing services, provided we have your consent.
Geomorphica is an international journal supported by the efforts of a large international volunteer community. We may transfer your data outside of your country of residence:
- During the normal journal publication processes and/or other processes you have requested;
- To support our efforts in continued excellence in editorial policies and procedures and enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives;
- Where required by law;
- With your consent; or
- For any of the data collection purposes previously identified herein.
Information that you voluntarily disclose to other users - such as email address or username - via open reviews or comments could be collected and disclosed by others. Geomorphica does not take responsibility for such disclosure or collection activities.
Data security in storage, processing, and transport
You voluntarily agree to transfer the data that you have submitted to us for storing, processing, or transport within Geomorphica and the Penn State Libraries Open Publishing services. We will take measures to ensure that your data is treated securely in accordance with applicable University policies, standards, and guidelines. However, we do acknowledge that data transmission via the internet cannot be completely secure.
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide Geomorphica to you and to fulfill the operations you have requested, and for other essential purposes, such as operating and improving the journal in general, especially via anonymized efforts to enhance equity, diversity, and inclusion, and complying with our legal obligations.
You have the right to ask us to delete or not to process your information for specific purposes, to change your preferences, review your details, and correct your details. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make such requests or modifications.
Cookie statement and analytics
We use Matomo Analytics to manage user sessions and facilitate logins. By registering and/or logging onto the system, you consent to having cookies placed in your browser. You may opt to disable/delete cookies by using the security settings of your browser. Note however that some features of the site may not work as intended, particularly those related to submissions or providing peer reviews. Cookies are not required to visit and read site content.